1.22.2006

the shining

So it's my day off, and I started watching "The Shining" on A&E this morning at 11:30 and now it's 1:44 and I can't turn if off. Have you guys seen this movie?!? It's creepy as hell. I've never seen it. Shelly Duvall just locked Jack in the cooler after she knocked him down the stairs when he said he was going to kill her. SO CREEPY! I haven't seen a movie this creepy in a long time, maybe ever. Maybe that's why it's a classic.

I am going to make bread today, but it's hard to make bread and watch "The Shining" (3.5 hours with the commercials!) so I guess I'll have to wait until 2:30. While I am sitting here on the ball trying to correct my posture while watching a thriller, I think I will scan some photos so that my old friend Angie who lives in China can see me. I love reconnecting with old friends. It's a great thing.

I feel like my blog is getting lame lately, but I will be back with more meaningful, interesting posts soon. I am currently reading Rob Bell's Velvet Elvis and Kathryn Harrison's Seeking Rapture, both of which are very thought-provoking. Velvet Elvis goes along with Blue Like Jazz and other recent takes on a "repainted" Christianity from a slightly new perspective.

For the moment I have exhausted my ability to discuss my current issues/perspective on faith, so I am leaving these conversations to Jon, Cory and Sara & Matt's pages, enjoying chewing on the thoughts rather than producing them.

Well, time to watch the remaining thrilling minutes of my movie, and then bread and laundry await.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jack said...

Laura: We've go that movie on a DVD (from China) if you ever want to watch without all the commercials. I read the book a long time ago, and it's much better than the movie.

8:08 PM  
Blogger cory said...

i just read your blog and realized that i have not really been a reliable source of faith-strugglin' blogs lately as i have taken weeks off...

i think i'm back on the horse now.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

yeah Cory, I was just blog-surfing and wondering if or when you and the rest of them were going to come back to life... I need my fix!! =)

11:51 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

i will say this about jack nicholson - he was the perfect person to cast in something's gotta give.

but the shining? the only way i got through that one was watching it in the middle of the day with all the lights on and the sun pouring in and making fun of it the entire time. scary movies are hard for me.

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home