6.12.2005

stems leaves and flowers

I know it's getting old to say this, but my job really is crazy. I've been working a lot and although things in the restaurant are better, there is still a lot to do, and we are stuck working a lot of hours until our shift supervisors are properly trained. This is indeed the challenge of my working life so far, and I'm trying hard not to burn out.

I did get off early today and had some daylight hours {after the sweltering heat toned down a bit) to do a little work in the garden. Something about seeing tiny seeds tossed into the ground turn into cilantro or golf-ball sized bulbs planted six months ago sprout huge purple flowers, it's a reminder for me that life goes on. I don't think I'm so self-absorbed to not actually realize that, but in some ways I am so caught up in my job lately that I hardly realize that time is passing, the world is turning, and it's going to be alright. Whatever happens. A few hours in my garden and things seem right and level and even again.

In one way my job is stressful right now because for the first time I really am majorly responsible for something. Ultimately, if something goes wrong in my store, I take the blame. Of course I have superiors and people that work for me, but in one sense it comes down to me. My training of others, my supervision, my attitude, my example for my staff to lead. I suppose that's why the sight of something that I started, but then the soil fed, the sun enriched, the rain watered, gives me a new burst of energy. All that's left is to pull the weeds, add some fertilizer, and anticipate the results.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home