3.10.2005

dreaming and writing and dreaming of writing

Some days, like my friend Mary, I imagine a world where either my husband starts making at least $60,000 a year, I win the lottery or else I just figure out a way to not have a job most of the time. If that were to happen I would spend my time writing. Maybe I could make money writing, although I'm sure thousands of people ponder that every day. But the step from working full-time and thinking of writing and actually quitting a job and doing it seems like leaping off the side of a building praying you grow wings before you crash to your death.

Sometimes when I lay in bed and can't fall asleep right away, or I have just fininshed a good novel and am thinking about how the author came up with the story, I imagine what my novel could be about. Sometimes in odd places I have moments of inspiration - some small tidbit of life that becomes poignant because of circumstance and setting. I imagine writing a version of my life or my husband's life into a short story or a novel. But then I think I haven't lived enough yet. But since it's a novel, it can continue any way I like. But then, it wouldn't be real, and creating stories that taste of reality seem to require a bit of life experience. If we got story ideas from tv and movies they would basically end perfectly, but I want to write about real life and real people's lives.

Last night I layed in bed brainstorming pieces of my novel and then prayed I would remember some of what I was thinking the next day to write it down. This evening, I did, and so I wrote them down. I have been thinking of taking a creative writing class and I think I really will do it. I certainly have time, it's just initiative to start up, get rolling. In the meantime, I keep dreaming.

5 Comments:

Blogger allan said...

Hi Laura, you don't really know me...but i'm a friend of mary's. I'm home sick from work and was exploring. I have actually been reading your blog since you started...I do think you should be a writer. I think you should do it. So consider this a random cheer from the sidelines. Keep posting and we'll keep cheering.
later

6:08 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Allan.. I know of you, but I don't know you. I have read your blog too but not so regularly. Isn't it funny to "meet" people through the blog world? Anyway, I hope to meet you for real someday. Thanks so much for the encouragement!

7:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura, DO IT. I went back to school just this past year after 30 years. Believe me, it doesn't get any easier. I'm in the process of completing my degree in English and getting my teaching credentials and have about a year to go.

I'm 51, having turned 50 in 2003. I reasoned that it wouldn't get any easier at 60 or 70.

It was very scary at first. I am usually the oldest person in the room, but I have made some really good friends of all ages. I took three classes at first, one was a kind of make up class. English comp and critical thinking. It was incredible.

Please just do it. I wish I had 20 or 30 years ago. Imagine the time I WASTED!!

Good luck.

Please visit my blog at gmanvv.blogspot.com

Thank you,

Gary

10:40 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Gary - how did you get to my blog out of curiosity? I love random readers! Anyway, I did check out your blog. I will continue to read - could I link it on my page?

11:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please link to my blog. You are most welcome to. I like the writing that I have read from you so far. Please give me some criticism of my blog, ok? I just took some of the essays and writings that I have done recently and added them to it. I try to stay current with rantings, but it's HARD there is so little time in a 24 hour day.

11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home