11.23.2004

dreaming...

Last night I dreamt of China.. unfortunately I don't remember the dream in detail like I did when I first woke up, but as with many of my dreams, it seemed so real as it happened. It was like I was there again, I think with my friend Erin Rufledt, just like 2 and a half years ago. But this time it was like she was re-introducing me to life in China, she was showing me the new Beijing, how things had changed, etc. I was running through the streets, somehow arriving 10 miles across the city in two minutes of sprinting through the streets. I was looking for old friends in their homes and dorms around town, although in reality they have long vacated and been replaced by new families and students. I'm not sure what the point of this post or my dream was. I dream about China, India, Mexico fairly often. But China will always have a special place in my heart. My first foreign country, the start of something new and exciting and different in my life, the opening of my heart to so much variety, in people, food, customs, life. The picture above was from out my back porch when I lived in China. I always loved this picture, the mao-suited men playing cards in the courtyard, very everyday yet poignant look at Chinese life. The world is so amazing, for this holiday season, I wish that everyone would get a chance to glimpse life in a foreign land. Or, get a glimpse of those foreign lands right here in our backyards in America.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home